Saturday, March 18, 2006
Closer to Big Bang
Here are the interesting findings of the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite, announced by NASA:
1. The universe is about 13.7 billion years old
2. Stars started forming 400 million years after the Big Bang, when conditions were more conducive to star formation
3. The universe is composed of 4% matter, 23% dark matter and 73% dark energy
4. We don't know what dark matter or dark energy is.
5. The universe grew from marble size to a volume larger than the observable universe in less than 0ne-trillionth of a second after Big Bang.
The WMAP was launched on June 30, 2002 from Cape Canaveral. Its mission is to map out the cosmic microwave background radiation. (photo from NASA)